IN CASE OF A CIVIL DEFENCE EMERGENCY (e.g. earthquake)
If the Alpine Fault moves, the subsequent earthquake will be significant, predicted to be over Magnitude 8.0 Richter Scale, 1000 times bigger than the Christchurch quakes. If it occurs, and if you are here in the Village, the following should occur:
- During the quake – drop, cover and hold (this could last for many minutes).
- Once it is safe to do so – check your family’s safety remembering there will be many severe aftershocks to follow.
- Turn off any gas bottles and mains power.
- Apply first aid to any injuries you are capable of dealing with.
- If there is a fire in or near the house – get outside and stay out. Go to the ICP (Incident Control Point) and activate the fire siren after dialling 111.
- Wait for your Street Coordinator (appointed by Community Response Team ) to stop by and gather information and assist you where practical.
- If everybody is okay – stay in your house, OR
- If you wish to offer help to the CRT, move to the Hall or ICP for instructions.
The ICP (Incident Control Point) is the local Civil Defence Communications Centre and we have a Community Response Team in the Village who will go there as soon as they are able. It is also the location of the satellite phone and radio for communicating with Selwyn Civil Defence Emergency Operations Centre (will require assistance from a CRT member to open ICP for access). The Village Hall will be the Reporting Station and Emergency Centre.
- Secure your household first. Remain in your home if you are able and support others around you.
- Each street will have a Coordinator who will make contact with you as soon as they have secured their own home. They will gather information regarding your needs and the status of your street and report this to the ICP. The aim is to keep people comfortable and safe in their own homes or with neighbours who can provide shelter and comfort, in the knowledge that others are doing the same in other streets.
- Make your way to the Village Hall only if you haven’t been able to convey your needs to your Street Coordinator, or wish to offer assistance. Please leave a note if you leave your home so we know you are OK.
The nearest medical centre is Darfield Medical Centre , 03 318 8511 (45 mins drive).
Or call emergency services (111) and go to the ICP, and follow instructions in the window above the Emergency sign.
We have a list in the ICP of G.P.’s, nurses, first aiders, etc., who may be in the Village. This list can only be accessed via a CRT member (list of CRT members names and phone numbers, also in the window above the Emergency sign).
Defibrillator (AED): north exterior wall of the ICP (cabinet unlocked).